EQ2 Traders Corner Forums  

Go Back   EQ2 Traders Corner Forums > Tradeskills > General Trade Skill Discussion

Old 12-27-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
Waste
Visitor

Default Casual Gaming Outfitter - Weaponsmith or Armorer?

I really have been enjoying Tradeskilling so far. lvl 17 Outfitter. I'm having problems deciding on Armorer or Weaponsmith at 20.

I can really only play 2 nights a week, so I may have problems trying to maintain relationships with other vendors. Is one "easier" then the other as far as dependancies ect? I want to be able to get on and feel like I've accomplished some goals instead of hunting around for dependancy items all night.

The only thing I've noticed is there seem to be alot more Armorers then Weaponsmiths, from what I've seen in my TS instances.

Any of you experienced guys feel one way or the other is a bit easier?

Waste
20 Adventurer
17 Outfitter
Mistmoore
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
harvyst
Apprentice Trader

Right now, you want weaponsmith.

Armourers cannot currently make pristine bars. They lack the skill. It's a bug, it should get fixed, but until it does, an armourer NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS a weaponsmith to do the simplist of combines if they want pristine.

It's sick sad and very depressing for armourers. On top of that they need tailors for padding, sages for patterns, alchemists for temper, and a jeweler or carpenter for studs.

I'd go with a weaponsmith. They can at least make their own bars, and while they rely on tailors for hilts, and jewelers for chain and hooks and studs, it's not quite as bad.
harvyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
Waste
Visitor

How does the $$ factor in between the two.

It is less expensive to do one or the other?

On the other hand

Does one have a greater potential to make $$ then the other?

Weaponsmith/Armorer
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Elriak
Hobbyist

At least through Tier 3, there's very little profit in weaponsmithing. Not zero, but don't expect to get rich -- I make more money in less time adventuring, and most of the profit I do make weaponsmithing pretty much just goes back into more weaponsmithing.

But I suspect that that's true of many skills at this point. One advantage that armorsmithing might have is that people have six (armorer-supplied) armor slots vs. at most two weapon slots, so your market is larger (and back when I was in Tier 2, I kept both armor and weapons in stock and consistently sold more armor), but at the same time, you're going to be competing with more people (almost every server has fewer weaponsmiths than just about anything else). So it might balance out.

But in the short term, it looks like the overriding concern is probably the armorer's dependence on weaponsmiths for pristine bars, and your guess is as good as mine when (or if) that'll be fixed.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #5
Kryogen
Visitor

Outfitting is not for the casual, in any way, shape, or form. If you want casual, then consider Provisioner or Alchemist. The easiest of outfitting is Weaponsmithing, even though it can be very tedious at times. The worst is armoring, which is down-right broken right now and doesn't look to be fixed anytime soon by the dev team.
Kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
harvyst
Apprentice Trader

To answer your second post -

Armourer is more profitable.

But not right away.

Tier 3 isn't worth making except for the rare steel armour, as most people do their armour quests which yield much better armour.

Tier 4, however, is very profitable. The stuff you make rivals the dropped stuff, there aren't any easy complete set of quests for people to do, and it looks much better. The dropped feysteel brigadine set looks like something someone let rust too long. The feyiron - we assume - will have the same stats as the dropped but look better. The rare feysteel chain I have - a bp and pants made by Aangst, gamewide first on the pants, serverwide on the bp - are simply to DIE for. They are sea green chain, with darker green around the knees and on the bp, the whole thing looks woven together and shimmies. It's the best looking armour I've seen and it's got better stats at pristine than the dropped stuff.

So right now there isn't a medium armour market because feyiron rings are broken. But feyiron plate sells well, and is in high demand, and when feyiron chain shows up it will be the armour of choice, and the rare feysteel is absolutely goregous and has good stats.

But you have to grind through neglect of the tier 3 to get to that goal.

On the weapon side.... The pristine feyiron weapons have the same stats - or worse - than the dropped feysteel weapons. I have a dropped feysteel mace, and none of the crafted feyiron weapons can beat it for a mystic. Even the rare pristine forged feysteel mace only comes equal to the dropped feysteel mace! There's no real advantage to putting a rare in a feysteel weapon - the stats just aren't worth it.

I've not heard much of a demand for forged feyiron weapons, because the dropped feysteel is so good, and so plentiful. Search for "feysteel" and page after page of cheaply priced weapons will flood the broker screen...

So armourer == much screwed on levelling, much screwed on dependency, but overall more worth it.

weaponsmith has it easier to level, but less of a demand.
harvyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
slasherp
Visitor

As a casual player you want to avoid becoming an armorer.
As many of you pointed out, the bugs we armorers have to put up with brings you to a total grind and a money sink. I come from a server where noone can make me feyiron plates. So for the time of being I cannot make the armor. The money potential is there. You can make feyiron armor that beats the AQ stuff and make it useable by even a lvl 24 player. Now who wouldn't want to wear feyiron armor at lvl 24 where most dropped feyiron/steel armor could only be worn by a lvl 30+

Slasherp
lvl 32 Armorer
slasherp is offline   Reply With Quote